Tramadol is a narcotic like pain reliever and it appears as white to off-white, crystalline powder that is odorless. Tramadol 100mg has a melting point between 180-184 degrees Celsius. Tramadol can treat any sort of pain in the body irrespective of the pain being mild or severe. It is similar to opioid analgesics. The drug is known to relieve pain by working in the brain and changes the way the body feels and responds to pain.
This drug is the most preferred medication for pain relief by a majority of doctors across the world. It is available as immediate release form and also as extended release form. The extended release form of Tramadol is advisable for round the clock treatment of pain. However, it is not to be used on an as and when needed basis.
Important information on the precautions of using the medication
- Do not take the pill if you have used any tranquilizers, sedatives, narcotic meds or alcohol in past few hours.
- When a dose of Tramadol has been changed, there are chances that it can slow your breathing. This can also happen when you start using the medicine in the initial days.
- One should not take this drug for longer periods of time than what is advised.
- Do not even change the dosage of Tramadol 100mg to higher or lower dosage strengths unless insisted by your physician.
- You should never crush, break, or open an extended release form of the medication.
- Swallow the pill as a whole. A few people have experienced seizures and convulsions while taking this medicine.
- This drug is a habit forming med. Therefore it has to be taken exactly as advised by your physician.
- Do not share your pills with anyone else.
Efficacy, usage and administration
Tramadol 100mg works to relieve the pain in the body by changing the way a person feels and responds to pain. The pill is very effective and helps a distressed person to walk out of pain efficiently.
The drug can be taken orally either with food or without having food. It is usually taken every four to six hours as and when needed for pain relief. People who are having nausea can take the med with food so as to help themselves feel better. You can also seek guidance from your doctor in order to overcome nausea like lying down for about an hour or two or having very little head movement.
Pain relief meds work best when they are taken during the onset of pain. Tramadol 100mg has the potency to cause withdrawal symptoms especially if it has been used for a prolonged time. Therefore, use the drug exactly you have been advised to take.
What happens if you miss or overdose Tramadol 100mg?
As this drug is indicated for pain relief, it is likely to possibly miss a dose. However, if you happen to miss a dose of Tramadol, take it as soon as possible. In case, it is time for you to take the next dose, then you may better skip the missed dose and continue taking the scheduled dose. You should never take additional doses of Tramadol 100mg just to make up for the missed doses.
If you have overdosed the medication, then rush to any nearest medical help center immediately and get yourself treated for overdose. You may also call the poison helpline number to seek quick oral guidance. Tramadol 100mg overdose can be fatal, especially for a child. Overdose symptoms include slow breathing, slow heart rate, cold, drowsiness and fainting.